[LAU] Hard lock-ups -- Trying to narrow the cause

Aaron L. elmastero74 at gmail.com
Mon May 25 00:57:18 EDT 2009

Hmmm.......did my reply to Drew go to just him?

This gmail sort-by-subject thing can get weird.

Anyway, I wanted to make sure my symptoms were included in this as well, so
here it is:

Great thread.

I've been having intermittent lockups on my machine since I installed
UbuntuStudio on it about 8 months ago.

Started on Hardy.  Now on Intrepid.

It took me so long to get Compiz working with my Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 that
I don't want to even think about moving to Jaunty.

I've ran memtest at least 3 times now with no errors being returned each
time.  I used to think it had something to do with a screensaver (and the
nvidia driver) but I don't think that's the case.  I've been sitting in
front of it while it's happened and it usually goes like this:

   1.  usually Firefox dies (last night it happened when I viewed a myspace
   page so it almost seems like a Flash issue)
   2.  the screen goes blank (black)
   3.  my mouse cursor turns into the spinning cursor although I can still
   move it for a few seconds (10-15 or so seconds, I'd say)
   4.  finally, a 100% freeze although I can still see my router/hub
   blinking so it looks like there is network activity

Then I have to do a hard restart.

Funny thing as sometimes it won't happen for a couple of weeks and I'll
think, "Sweet!  It's fixed!"

Then it'll happen twice in a day.  Can't imagine that it's good for the hard
drive with all these hard restarts.

I have a mac laptop sitting nearby though.  I'll try the ssh bit when it
happens and maybe I can figure something out.