[LAU] Software RAID for Ardour?

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de
Tue May 26 02:45:38 EDT 2009

Brent Busby wrote:
> I wondered what the prevalent opinion was about setting up a software
> raid mirror of two sata drives under Linux LVM.  This is on a 3.2GHz
> quad core AMD system that almost certainly has plenty of free CPU.  Will
> this provide extra disk i/o that could be usefully applied to getting
> more simultaneous tracks, or will using a software mirror interfere with
> the RT kernel or cause latency issues/instability somewhere?

soft raid has never brought rt problems for me.
if you really want to increase your disk thoughput, you should prefer
striping (raid 0) over mirroring, though.
the only drawback is that you double the risk of data loss (if one drive
goes, all is lost). but that's ok as long as you dump the data to a safe
location every day...

then again, depending on the number of tracks you want to do, raid0 may
not even be necessary with modern sata drives.
i've been using raid1 happily for years.