[LAU] New film: "Loss.."

Justin Smith noisesmith at gmail.com
Tue May 26 05:11:05 EDT 2009

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 1:20 AM, Norval Watson <norv2001 at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> Hi all,
> Here's a little five minute film I made inspired by a half-hour session on FreeWheeling one night:
> http://vimeo.com/4840940
> I had Freewheeling running Fluidsynth with the Mega25 soundfont set, Ghostess running WhySynth and Hexter into FW, and Phasex into FW as well. All hooked up with JACK and a bash script I bashed out over a few days studying JP Mercury's examples in FW.
> Cheers,
> Norv
>
>  *******************************************
> Twitter: www.twitter.com/norv2001           - some tweets I made
> Vimeo: www.vimeo.com/videos/search:norv2001 - some videos I made
> Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/12687273 at N04/ - some photos I made
> MySpace: www.myspace.com/dcellmusic         - some music I made
> Facebook: www.facebook..com                  - some friends I made
> Longforest www.longforest.com - some art I made
>

>      Need a Holiday? Win a $10,000 Holiday of your choice. Enter now.http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylc=X3oDMTJxN2x2ZmNpBF9zAzIwMjM2MTY2MTMEdG1fZG1lY2gDVGV4dCBMaW5rBHRtX2xuawNVMTEwMzk3NwR0bV9uZXQDWWFob28hBHRtX3BvcwN0YWdsaW5lBHRtX3BwdHkDYXVueg--/SIG=14600t3ni/**http%3A//au.rd.yahoo.com/mail/tagline/creativeholidays/*http%3A//au.docs.yahoo.com/homepageset/%3Fp1=other%26p2=au%26p3=mailtagline

Since you don't mention xjadeo here, I would like to mention that this
sort of project can be much easier with xjadeo runnung alongside
ardour, you can render your video, and then have xjadeo play the video
based on ardour's playback location. Of course it would be even better
to have jack audio and jack transport support in cinelerra, but who
knows when that will happen (it will be a while before I have the free
time to try such a thing, though I am tempted).

I liked the emphatic percussion in this piece, and all the unabashedly
synthesized instruments, reminding me of early '90s stuff by the
Residents. In the video, for some reason the car was jarring - perhaps
because I could read the make and model? Maybe it didn't fit in with
the other subjects of the photography? Also it had the telltale signs
of a movie made by someone working solo with nobody else to film (I
notice this because I am in the same boat with my latest video
project).