[LAU] ubuntu realtime.

Marcel Marti marcel.marti at gmail.com
Fri May 29 14:44:38 EDT 2009

Don't get me wrong. I use Ubuntu for everything else and I am extremly happy
with it. I have installed more than 10 Linux operating systems to different
people I know after convince them of its virtues and I've always chosen
Ubuntu. Because it's clear, stable, well managed, the system package is very
efficient,... but for audio production I had to look further.

Unless of course that you are very lucky with hardware (I've got a Presonus
FP10 wich works well with Linux) and you have the time and knowledge to
compile the kernel, the sound server and the applications yourself it is
very likely that you have to work at a very high latencies.

And let's be realistic: who the hell likes to play a virtual instrument when
it sounds a bit delayed?

Btw, I think that a distro that misses an RT kernel twice is not a serious
audio oriented distro.