[LAU] [ffado] Recommend FireWire Hardware from the Following

Ray Rashif schivmeister at gmail.com
Sat May 30 08:57:20 EDT 2009

It's that question again, and it's here for you to answer and gain cookie
points!

Here's my array of the chosen ones:

ECHO AudioFire 4  [[
http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/FireWire/AudioFire4/index.php ]]
Edirol FA-66  [[
http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=731&ParentId=114]]
ESI QuataFire 610  [[ http://www.esi-audio.com/products/quatafire610/ ]]
Focusrite Saffire  [[ http://www.focusrite.com/products/saffire/saffire/ ]]

That was narrowed down from   [[
http://ffado.org/?q=devicesupport%2Flist&filter0=&filter1=&op2=OR&filter2%5B%5D=perfect]].

All these satisfy my need for mobility and at least 2 DI and MIC inputs.
>From what I know, they pretty much cost about the same, or within 100-200
bucks apart.

* All except the Focusrite are hybrid inputs, so it has the upper hand
there.
* Only the Focusrite has onboard DSP effects, BUT unsupported on Linux
(ffado)
* Only the ESI officially mentions support for Linux

So here's the homework for you guys:

Reorder the list in decreasing order of merit. Conditions include (in order
of decreasing importance):

* Preamp Quality
* Linux Support Extent
* Beauty
* Portability

If that one's too tough, then just pick 1 (or 2/3 depending on which of
those you have firsthand experience with) =p

Thanks and good luck!