[LAU] Building a DAW

Justin Smith noisesmith at gmail.com
Sat May 30 15:52:22 EDT 2009

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 12:44 PM, Joe Hartley <jh at brainiac.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 30 May 2009 15:28:15 -0400
> Ricus Vincente <wizardofgosz at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  I'm mostly interested in transport controls.  A control surface with
>> faders would come in handy some times, but for mixing we have an actual
>> analog console (a cool vintage piece at that).
>
> Sounds brilliant!  I believe that people have had good results with
> transport-specific controllers, I've got no experience beyond mapping
> a few buttons on the BCF for play/stop/home/end, which is good enough for
> what I am doing.
>
> --

That article Asmo mentioned above is great, the mapping of midi to
ardour controls is not exactly intuitive/discoverable
(control-middleclick?), but it is simple once you know the keypress.

By the way, off topic for this thread, but definitely applicable to
Linux audio: is there a good primer to the ardour UI? I use ardour
extensively, but the interface is non-discoverable, there are great
things it can do which require non-intuitive keypresses and
mouseclicks (I started reading ardour.keys and just reading the xml
for keybindings to try using/assigning for example). Also, if someone
was interested in working on the discoverability of ardour, this could
save much headache and work for many of us. To reiterate, I am
certainly no newbie to Linux audio or even ardour in particular, but I
am still figuring out things I should have been doing for years now.