[LAU] what's up with midi clock

torbenh at gmx.de torbenh at gmx.de
Sun May 31 00:50:22 EDT 2009

On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 01:27:02AM +0200, Atte André Jensen wrote:
> Gabriel M. Beddingfield wrote:
>
> > Right now, the laptop 2 has a chuck script that listens for OSC messages
> > and feeds sooperlooper a MIDI clock.  Instead, you could write a simple
> > C program that listens for OSC messages and is the JACK transport
> > master.  Writing a transport master is not very difficult.
>
> Could be a possibility. I've been using jack transport locally and
> that's rock steady and without problems. Basically what I need is sync
> of tempo + the beginning of each bar. Start/stop and bar number is
> unnecessary for this exact purpose.
>
> > Looks like Esben Stein did exactly this recently:
> >
> >   http://www.nabble.com/JACK-Transport-td23135202.html
>
>  From reading this, it seems to me he wrote "something" in
> supercollider. If it's reasonably stand-alone that shouldn't be a
> problem though.
>
> > Also, perhaps netjack already has this ability.
>
> I'll have to look into that also.
>
> Basically it seems that I have more options that I thought. I start with
> what I have and check other possibilities if I get in trouble.
>
> Thanks for the ideas!

netjack syncs the transport of the slave to the transport of the master.
however the problem of chuck not syncing to anything cant be solved by
this.

bad chuck.

there seems to be a small bug currently, which prevents the transport
from starting the first times. just press it a bit more often.

however it makes me a bit sad, that people still try to solve the
orgiginal intended use-case of netjack with kludges.

can you people please explain, why you never try netjack ?

its installed with any recent jack and its a matter of:
jack_netsource -h slave_name

jackd -R -d net

what is so complicated about this ?

> --