[LAU] More Hammondology

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Sun May 31 06:39:21 EDT 2009

Pursuant to the recent discussion of Hammond emulations on Linux:

I just got back from the Boom Boom Room in San Francisco, where I spent the night playing their house Hammond B3.

That is just one magical instrument. And, after playing the real thing for several hours with a full band and for a packed dancefloor, it's clear that nothing I've ever heard in emulation comes close to it. There's something about the way it moves air around that I really doubt could be duplicated.

The bass player enjoyed standing in front of the Leslie, and said, "When you get those swells going I get a nice back massage!".

Still, I'm going to try out Connie and am very intrigued by the idea of running Beatrix on a dedicated netbook. And also need to get AZR3 running on my netbook too. And motivated to finish writing the code for my Arduino-based swell pedal.

I think the Hammond might could be the original mad scientist instrument. Long before Robert Moog started building synths, the Hammond had lots of knobs and buttons and sliders for nerds to play around with.

-ken