[LAU] [ffado] Recommend FireWire Hardware from the Following

Scott lau at troutpocket.org
Sun May 31 13:24:29 EDT 2009

Ray Rashif wrote:
> Oh shite..This is like the biggest disappointment this year.
>
> Could there be a fast routine I could run at the store to test whether
> it'd work? I'll be bringing my laptop with me so I guess I should at
> least be able to determine whether the device can be used.
>
> Thanks for the response so far guys.
>
> Scott: Is your lspci -v output similar?
>
> ~$ sudo lspci -v
> 08:09.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C832 IEEE 1394 Controller
> (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
>   Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 30b2
>   Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 16
>   Memory at d4101000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2K]
>   Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2
>   Kernel driver in use: ohci1394
>   Kernel modules: ohci1394

Same except latency.  Here ya go:
# lspci -v | grep -i firewire -A12
03:01.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C832 IEEE 1394 Controller (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
	Subsystem: Dell XPS M1210
	Memory at ef9fd800 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2K]
	Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2
	Kernel driver in use: ohci1394
	Kernel modules: ohci1394

I really have no answer why it's worked out for me so well.  Maybe the latency setting
is a factor?  A long time ago I tried adjusting that in 8.04 to get it to work but it
made no difference.  The FFADO wiki has said it doesn't work since Ubuntu Studio 8.04.
  It didn't work in 8.04 for me so I tried 8.10 and it worked great.  9.04 works too.
  However, I prefer Fedora/CCRMA now. YMMV.