[LAU] Building a DAW

Ricus Vincente wizardofgosz at gmail.com
Sun May 31 13:52:55 EDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-05-31 at 19:31 +0200, Florian Faber wrote:

> Ricus,
>

> Go spend some bucks on a decent RME card. There's a pretty good reason
> why you see RME cards almost everywhere.

 I know the stuff is good, but I don't think I will be able to talk the
guys into that much cash.  Then again, I have some friends in the biz
who can really hook me up.

> >  Say 48 in and 48 out, or even 64?
> >  Does the RME hardware allow for that?
>
> Yes. You can use e.g. multiple MADI cards (64ch each) and use them as
> centerpiece of your studio's infrastructure. Works nicely in the studio
> and abroad, but may come with a hefty pricetag, if you want to jump onto
> the MADI train.
>
> An alternative could be RME's ADAT or AES32 cards, depending on the kind
> of interface you need. All these solutions depend on external converters
> and merely provide you with a way to transport audio data in and out the
> machine.
>
> You may find pretty soon that 16 channels are not enough.

 Actually, the whole studio is built around the 16-tk 2-inch machine
that we have, and our cool vintage (but small-ish) Electrodyne console.
I have done some really cool projects with only 16 tracks.

 Having a DAW with 16 outs would be fine, because we could use more
tracks in the box, and submix (I assume) out to stereo pairs on the
console when we want to utilize lots of tracks.

 Best,
 Rich...