[LAU] More Hammondology

Fons Adriaensen fons at kokkinizita.net
Sun May 31 17:56:47 EDT 2009

On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 02:35:59PM -0700, Norval Watson wrote:

> A year or so ago my father told me he was driving down
> the little road past his house in the forest and saw an
> old organ dumped on the side of the road.
> "Did you see the brand, Dad?"
> "I think it said something like... Hammond..."
>
> Sadly, that's about 20 hours drive from where I live.

Reminds me of a story told by my prof of acoustics
long time ago.

One day he was making an organ recording in some small
village, and saw a Hammond sitting in a dusty corner
of the church.

He asked the local organist about it.

- It's broken, we haven't used it for years.
- What do you want for it ?
- The pastor will be probably be happy if you
  take it away.

So next day he returned with a bigger car, and
asked the pastor who was indeed happy to see it
removed. To keep his conscience clean, my prof
donated some symbolical sum to a local charity.
Returned home, replaced a few electrolytics, and
the thing worked again.

This was the same person who hooked me into
Ambisonics, and into computing. These were the
TRS-80 days.

Ciao,

--
FA

Io lo dico sempre: l'Italia è troppo stretta e lunga.