[LAU] DVDs and Ubuntu 9.10

Bob van der Poel bob at mellowood.ca
Sun Nov 1 11:42:05 EST 2009

> The only suggestion I can come up with is in the past with 'weird'
> problems of playback to check what dvd device is being pointed to in
> the settings. i.e. /dev/dvd.

As I mentioned earlier ... using xine it all seems to work.

Interesting about the device names. Like Ray said, /dev/dvd (etc) are
all links. In my case (and I suspect yours) they point to /dev/sr0,
/dev/sr1, etc.

Now that brings up the question: what are these devices? used to be
that my cdroms were /dev/hdX.

> Note I have kubuntu 9.10 installed on a separate partition and am using
> ubuntu 9.04 here. This works fine but I have issues with nvidia and

My nvidia is working just fine. Did you try with different versions? I
think that my restricted hardware installer shows about 3 different
versions. I'm using the latest 185.18.36.

--
**** Listen to my CD at http://www.mellowood.ca/music/cedars ****
EMAIL: bob at mellowood.ca
WWW:   http://www.mellowood.ca