[LAU] I Flying - new instrumental

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 00:33:42 EST 2009

Oleg,
   Hello and thanks for sharing your music. I quite liked it.

   First, I think you are working with some interesting ideas here. At
times maybe the playing needs a bit of polish, but heck, every piece
I've ever recorded falls into that category also so don't take that
comment too seriously.

   Different from some others I think the recorder is a great sound
for this song because it brings it's own tonality to the mix. This is
probably the number one thing I'd ask you to consider as you decide
how you might work with the music going forward. How do each of the
instruments fill up the spectrum?

   Early on we have the recorder coupled with a clean picked guitar.
Very nice. A bit of reverb on the recorder works nicely there.

   When the first electric guitar comes in I think it's the wrong
electric guitar. The type of distorion seems to cover too much
spectrum and messes with the sounds of the other instruments.

   The drums and bass aren't bad, but I think the drum sound is again
sort of hidden at times by the guitar distortion.

   When we get to the fast portion I think the distorted guitars sound
good here, although they are as someone else said quite like Hotel
California in terms of what the whole band is doing.

   When the recorder comes back in I would have considered the guitar
parts be brighter electrics without so much distortion to sort of
revisit how the song started. Or maybe double up the electric with an
acoustic for a richer tonality. Again, I'm trying to ensure each
instrument fills up a sound space without stepping all over someone
elses' sound.

   OK, so I liked the music. I think the playing could get polished a
bit more. I think the instruments are interesting but stepping on each
other a bit, but overall the results are good.

cheers,
Mark