[LAU] plugin for RIAA eq?

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de
Mon Nov 2 16:31:26 EST 2009

Josh Lawrence wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking to record some albums into Ardour.  I have a hardware
> phono preamp that does the secret-squirrel RIAA eq stuff, but it's
> very flaky.  Is there a simple insert-it-and-forget-it eq for record
> players?

i'm not aware of one. if you have an alternative preamp that matches the
impedance of a phono cartridge, try building the curve yourself:

check out the FIL plugin. it's a four-band parametric. nedko arnaudov
has written a nice graphical wrapper, google for lv2FIL.

then look up the curve (i think it's on wikipedia) and just reconstruct
it with the appropriate filter settings. here's another one:

http://www.euronet.nl/~mgw/background/riaa/uk_riaa_background_1.html

i could get something that roughly resembles the RIAA shape with just
two filters. it's not really correct, but it's a start.

hth,

jörn