[LAU] Strange aiff files

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Tue Nov 3 12:22:48 EST 2009

On Tue, Nov 03, 2009 at 11:25:13AM +0100, Atte Andr?? Jensen wrote:
> Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
>
> > What does
> >
> >    sndfile-info <filename>
> >
> > say about this file?
>
> Hey, cool command! Seems it was saved from Logic, not protools as I wrote...
>
> atte at vestbjerg:~/music/renoise/projects/lunatunes$ sndfile-info
> audio_31_1.aif
>
> Version : libsndfile-1.0.20

> File : audio_31_1.aif
> Length : 24773120
> FORM : 24773112
>   AIFF
>   COMT : 410
>    count  : 1
>     time   : 0x0
>     marker : 0
>     length : 19
>     string :  Creator: Logic Pro
>   COMM : 18
>    Sample Rate : 44100
>    Frames      : 8257536
>    Channels    : 1
>    Sample Size : 24
>    Encoding    : NONE
>   CHAN : 32 (unknown marker)
>   SSND : 24772616
>    Offset     : 0
>    Block Size : 0

> Sample Rate : 44100
> Frames      : 8257536
> Channels    : 1
> Format      : 0x00020003
> Sections    : 1
> Seekable    : TRUE
> Duration    : 00:03:07.246
> Signal Max  : 3.10893e+06 (-8.62 dB)

I have had problems with AIFF files from a Mac because of the obnoxious AppleDouble format with resource forks and such. The AIFF file showed up as just raw data, and all the useful information, headers, format info, etc, was lost, because it was stored in a separate invisible file which I did not get.

-ken