[LAU] open hw soundcard (was Re: status usb2 for sound)

Karl Hammar karl at aspodata.se
Sun Nov 8 10:53:31 EST 2009

Folderol:
> I started looking at the USB2 protocols for something else, but gave up
> when I saw how insanely complex it is even for relatively simple data
> transfer. In the end, for my project, it was easier to convert the data
> into an RS232 serial stream then use one of the standard serial-USB
> converters.

Well, then you could design around a ft232 [1].
But would RS232 suffice for 8ch/24bit/44.1kHz (12Mbit/s) ?

Shall I interpret your answer as the main hurdle is not to convert
x channels at real time, but to get it into the computer?

Would a network connection solve that problem?
In that case the DACs and ADCs could reside on an embedded computer
and stream the sound data to/from the pc. And one could envision
such little things near each mic and ethernet cables or possible wifi
to the control room. Power-Over-Ethernet [2] could be helpful, and why
not throw in a pre-amp and plug it directly into the mic.

Regards,
/Karl

[1] http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/FT232R.htm
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_over_ethernet

Karl Hammar                    Aspö Data               karl at aspodata.se
Lilla Aspö 148                                                 Networks
S-742 94 Östhammar          +46  173 140 57                   Computers
Sweden                     +46  70 511 97 84                 Consulting