[LAU] Laptop specs

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Sun Nov 8 23:41:07 EST 2009

Ray Rashif wrote:
> 2009/9/13 david <gnome at hawaii.rr.com <mailto:gnome at hawaii.rr.com>>
>
>     Ray Rashif wrote:
>
>      > 7200RPM is absolutely necessary to be rid of that bottleneck,
>     first and
>      > foremost. A 5400RPM imposes a practical limit to the minimum size
>     of the
>      > buffer, and from experience this can be as big as 256 (meaning
>     anything
>      > lower you get xruns regardless of how good your audio interface is).
>
>     Interesting, will have to try that on the synthesizer laptop. It's got a
>     5400RPM drive ...

Reporting back the results of my attempts to achieve low latency on an
older Celeron laptop with a 5400RPM hard drive.

> * And don't forget to report back the result so we can conclude it as
> true :)

Any buffer size smaller than 1024 causes xruns. With my UCA202 USB sound
card, that makes 64msec latency the lowest I can get right now. Although
I'm not sure the RT setup on that laptop is fully configured properly ...

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community