[LAU] sound problems in Arch Linux

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Tue Nov 10 03:51:56 EST 2009

Preston C. wrote:
> I am using a M-Audio Fast Track Ultra. When I run 'alsamixer' it first
> list that my Logitech webcam is default.

Both are USB devices.  To configure which one is the default device,
use the appropriate configuration tool of your distribution.

> "This sound device does not have any playback controls."
>
> Any help in figuring this out is much appreciated.

This message is trying to tell you that alsamixer did not find any
playback controls for this device.  The reason for this might be that
your device actually does not have any playback controls.

This is common with USB devices; you have to use the hardware controls
of the device itself.

(Does the Fast Track Ultra actually run with Linux?)

Best regards,
Clemens