[LAU] yoshimi bug - fixed by me !

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Tue Nov 10 05:52:46 EST 2009

hollunder at gmx.at wrote:
> On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 23:01:59 -1000
> david <gnome at hawaii.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> cal wrote:

>>> Indeed. You're not the first and won't be the last to ask that.
>>> Last time this came up in the context of yoshimi, Josh Lawrence had
>>> a fairly elegant solution.
>>> <http://lists.linuxaudio.org/pipermail/linux-audio-user/2009-September/063063.html>
>> OK, tracked down the 64studio backports, and checked. It has JACK
>> 1.9.2-0.64studio2~lenny1. That doesn't sound like 0.116.etc ...
>
> It isn't, it's jack2, formerly known as jackdmp.
>
>>> That thread also featured a strong comment:
>>>   jackaudio.org notes that "nobody should be using 0.109 at this
>>> point in time".
>>>
>>> This is the modern age after all.
>
> This was almost a year ago. (and it feels like three years)
>
>> This makes me ask the question, "What are the JACK developers NOT
>> doing that is keeping their recommendation from replacing .109
>> with .116 in repositories, then?" Other programs got it done
>> somehow ...
>
> It seems distributions are simply too slow, especially debian based
> ones. At least that's my impression.

Weird, but other programs (general use ones) seem to be much closer to
"current" versions than JACK is. I wonder if there isn't some
hoop-jumping jackaudio hasn't done properly for Debian. Or maybe the
Debian folk in charge of approving JACK versions for inclusion in Debian
worship at the altar of Pulseaudio and just want to make JACK go away.
(I know, nobody involved in open source would be deliberately sabotaging
a competitor.)

> Don't quite get it in the case of 64studio where jack is an essential
> part. Guess they focused on the next version before bothering with that.

Possible. I can't install the DVD releases of 64Studio on my music box -
its optical drive doesn't seem reliably read all of a DVD - and while it
will boot from a flash drive, I haven't found any Linux audio distros
that will install from a flash drive. They all insist on looking for an
install CD. And nobody seems to make netboot installs anymore except
Debian's stock distro.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com