[LAU] Pulseaudio Foibles

David Baron d_baron at 012.net.il
Tue Nov 10 08:44:57 EST 2009

> For some reason, PulseAudio thinks that your MIDI interface is the card
> that should be used for PCM audio input/output.  Try configuring it to
> use another card, or no card, or try disabling it in KDE.
>
>  This kind of confusion is solidly preventable using alphanumeric names:
>
>  http://linuxlive.joshuacorps.org/?p=13

My hw:0 is the audio card. The MIDI card is card 2. There is no card 1 right
now.

Many old apps, i.e. windows stuff run in wine, think everything is the 0th
card and do not let you choose another.

I set the audio card to AudioPCI which is the name shown in
/proc/asound/cards. See if that helps.

Best would be to disable pulseaudio in KDE. How does one do it. If I really
want pulse, I need to configure for jack and start that first! It is not smart
enough to let the sink/source plugins simply sit and wait for jack to start
later.