[LAU] Re : zyn/yoshimi on EEE netbook

Folderol folderol at ukfsn.org
Wed Nov 11 14:30:29 EST 2009

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 20:18:24 +0100
Frank Neumann <beachnase at web.de> wrote:

> Hi list,
> I'd just like to chime in here -
>
> Josh Lawrence <hardbop200 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [..]
> > first blush, things are looking good but there are xruns all over the
> > place, so I installed the linux-rt kernel from the ubuntu repos.
> > eventually, yoshimi zombies, so I reboot into my new kernel.
> >
> > zombies at every patch switch.  adjusted the OscilSize just for
> > giggles, but it didn't do any good.  my only thoughts at this point is
> > that this netbook just might be too little power for this application.
>
> I have been trying every 5 or so updates of yoshimi in the last weeks, and for
> me it's similar to Josh's experiences:
>
> - On an Asus eeePC Netbook, I can set up things fine and can also play the default
>   Sine sound, but normally within a few patch change clicks, yoshimi zombifies.
>
> - On an AMD64 2-core desktop PC, after setting things up the first MIDI event
>   received by yoshimi already causes the zombie..so no sound at all here.

This is very strange. I am running on an AMD dual core desktop machine
and stability is exceptional. However I'm not running ubuntu. I am
running 64studio 3 beta with some debian squeeze enhancements.

Are you running 'standard' ubuntu or have you added an RT kernel with
the appropriate adjustments to /etc/security/limits.conf ?

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk