[LAU] open hw soundcard (was Re: status usb2 for sound)

Folderol folderol at ukfsn.org
Fri Nov 13 14:56:13 EST 2009

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 14:57:51 +0100 (CET)
karl at aspodata.se (Karl Hammar) wrote:

> Folderol:
> > karl at aspodata.se (Karl Hammar) wrote:
> > An entire cycle of 48kHz is about 20 uS so jitter would have to be
> > significantly less than that to avoid 'cogging'.
>
> So jitter < 1us would be required ?

I think it actually only needs to be less that 10uS

> What is "cogging" ?

The effect you can get with a system with poor stability but very strong
locking when incoming pulses are half way between the wanted times
(used to happen a lot with early discrete PLLs). The system will
alternately lock on the early and late pulses. The correction waveform
looks like a cog railway :)

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk