[LAU] open hw soundcard (was Re: status usb2 for sound)

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Fri Nov 13 17:42:31 EST 2009

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 10:15:15PM +0000, Folderol wrote:

> The fact there is software out there that enables collaboration via the
> internet demonstrates that it is do-able. We just?

Not really. None of these systems generate sample clocks from
network messages. Local clocks are free-running and not synced.
Signals are resampled to match the other end, and the quality
loss resulting from doing that is accepted, as are the effects
of lossy compression. Such quality loss is not acceptable for a
standalone audio interface.

> need to think out
> how it can be done with as simple hardware as possible :)

Yes. See my previous post. IMHO, soundcards should be free
running if only one is used, synced by word clock links
otherwise, and any network-derived timing used only to
align the delays. That will be tricky enough.

Ciao,

--
FA

Io lo dico sempre: l'Italia è troppo stretta e lunga.