[LAU] open hw soundcard

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Sat Nov 14 17:16:16 EST 2009

On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 04:36:30PM +0000, Folderol wrote:

> With this lack of standardisation is there any point in going for OSC
> with it's quite significant overhead? Netjack also seems to have quite
> a high overhead, and no specific mechanism for RT syncing audio.
>
> It seems that the UDP protocol is already the preferred protocol for a
> number of streaming media apps (1) for the same reasons as I mooted
> earlier. Low packet overhead, virtually any packet size, chuck it out
> as fast as the transport layer can cope with.

If you are comparing OSC to UDP you are comparing apples
to oranges. UDP is a transport protocol. OSC is a way to
encode events and associated data in a binary format. And
indeed there are no standards that define the meaning of
any OSC message. That again is at a different level.

And where do you get the 'quite significant overhead' ?
It just depends on how you use it.

--
FA

Io lo dico sempre: l'Italia è troppo stretta e lunga.