[LAU] Jamming over WiFi?

Michal Seta mis at artengine.ca
Wed Nov 18 20:31:01 EST 2009

Hi all,

I am working on a project in which I want 5 musicians to walk around a
building and play.  They will carry netbooks (mics and headphones) and
their signals will be sent to a concert hall where it will be
broadcasted.  Additionally, a "conductor" will decide which individual
stream will every one of those 5 musicians listen to.  So I need a
2-way communication on each netbook and 5 in and 5 out on the server.
The server will be wired.

I tried oggcasting but latencies were just unacceptable (10-20
seconds) so I started experimenting with jack.udp.  I am getting very
promising results with one machine on a wired LAN and the other over
WiFi but I get a lot lost packets.  I do not mind to loose some
quality and some stuttering and I don't mind some latency (although
jack wants to pump everything in real time) but the netbook that's on
WiFi has a lot of trouble even getting the audio data out or reliably
bringing it in, even in areas where WiFi signal is very strong.

I also tried NetJack but I cannot even establish a master/slave
relationship between 2 machines (if one is on a WiFi).  Perhaps it
demands a reliable bandwidth?  I am not sure, I did not spend much
time with it.

If anyone has any ideas or experience with something like this I would
appreciate any input.  I tried ninjam today but somehow client refuses
to talk to alsa drivers, I will be investigating that in hope that it
will perform better than ices2+pd.

Thanks.
--
./MiS