[LAU] open hw soundcard with ext. codec

Folderol folderol at ukfsn.org
Fri Nov 20 15:36:36 EST 2009

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 02:00:47 +0100 (CET)
karl at aspodata.se (Karl Hammar) wrote:

> Folderol:
> > On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 23:06:21 +0100
> > "Martin Homuth-Rosemann" <linuxaudio at cryptomys.de> wrote:
> >
> > > Ok! Sorry Karl for buggin' you.
>
> There is nothing to be sorry for.
>
> > I don't think anyone thought you were bugging them, just that you're
> > looking in a different direction. I think we need to avoid all pulling
> > in different directions, otherwise we end up with nothing.
> > ... been there ... got the T shirt :(
>
> So what is your whishlist, I think I have stated mine. What are our
> common interests and goals ? And what would a first move be ?
>
> Regards,
> /Karl

Very similar

Currently I have 3 stereo sources and one microphone, these are
currently all fed into a D.I.Y. mixer with switched gain settings and
then on to a 2496 soundcard (2 in + 2 out). The soundcard is quite old
now, and requires an ordinary PCI interface.

My immediate wish would be for 8 in x 2 out so I could get rid of the
mixer (just keep a simple mic amp) and more precisely -and repeatably-
define the input levels.

Later it would be nice to have both more inputs and outputs so I
could bring in another rarely used synth and start to experiment with
surroundsound etc. I should also point out that I also put 2 softsynths
into the mix.

I've been working at 44.1kHz 16bit up to now for ease of producing CDs
(not that I've sold any), but rather think I should be moving up to
48kHz 24bit

############

My thoughts would be that a first move would be for a 2 in card with
ordinary unbalanced line level inputs, not worrying about noise level
but trying to get a reasonably clear idea of THD as well as hammering
out a communication protocol.

My programming knowledge is limited, as are my hardware facilites. I
can however test things out I have an analogue sine/square/triangle
generator with less than 0.01% sinewave distortion (100Hz-10kHz), pretty
clean square response and linear triangle output. I used to use this for
testing amplifiers, along with a twin T notch filter, scope and valve
voltmeter.

I would be happy to buy a made-up development board with initial
programming done, and then work in parallel with developers testing and
improving both the software and hardware.

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk