[LAU] USB Audio interfaces for linux?

hollunder at gmx.at hollunder at gmx.at
Sat Nov 21 05:16:08 EST 2009

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 01:30:24 +0100
Robin Gareus <robin at gareus.org> wrote:

> Giso Grimm wrote:
> > Robin Gareus wrote:
> >> <...>
> >>
> >> I own a Edirol UA-25 and am very happy with it, alas it does not
> >> seem to be available from thomann.de.
> >>

> > It is now called 'cakewalk'
>
> OMG. Thanks for keeping me up to date.
>
> > http://www.thomann.de/ie/cakewalk_ua_25_ex_cw.htm
>
> just for the record: They're cheaper elsewhere.
>
> > My experience with that device is very good (although I only used
> > the former Edirol version). A good feature is that it is completely
> > USB powered (without significant distortion).
>
> Indeed, even with the built-in phantom power it is. The Hi-Z switch is
> also very handy; and it has pretty good pre-amps. On top of that the
> device is very robust. All in all it's IMHO one of the best /cheap/
> sound-cards.
>
> Compared to the UA-25 the UA-25 EX CW also includes an analog
> compressor. Given that it only has one knob (for the threshold), I
> doubt it's very useful. FWIW the limiter on the UA-25 is similarly
> useless. The new ground-Lift feature seems handy, though.
>
> > It works with no problems, and I did not even notice any problems
> > with 24bit mode and full duplex (at least the driver or jack are not
> > complaining). My colleague reported problems with the "Advanced
> > mode" on Windows.
>
> ~2 years ago it only worked in "Advanced Mode" with Linux ;) - I never
> flicked that switch to off.
>
> It works with `jackd ... -r48000 -p64 -n3` ~4ms latency;  `jdelay`
> reports 440 frames at 48kSpS round-trip without x-runs.
>
> robin

I have a UA-25 as well, just thought I comment on the last point:
-p64 -n3 always was the lowest possible setting for me, and to stay
x-run free I need to raise this to -p128 -n3.
If someone can tell me how to get lower or run -p64 -n3 in a stable
way, please tell me ;)

Otherwise I'm pretty happy with it. One flaw I noticed on my particular
piece is that when I turn the output all the way down, at the end the
right channel goes quiet first. This appears only on the very quietest
settings, so it's not a real issue for me.

Philipp