[LAU] best FLAC player?

hollunder at gmx.at hollunder at gmx.at
Mon Nov 23 16:58:32 EST 2009

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 13:32:17 -0800
"Aaron L." <elmastero74 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've noticed that these time issues are the problems with Songbird
> choking on my FLAC files as well.  If a song is listed as being 15
> days, 6 hours and 50 minutes long, we got problems.......
>
> I haven't dug too far into it but I'm thinking that it's an issue
> with how the song gets tagged??
>
> -aaron

It could well be a tagging issue, or an issue with the header.

> >> If I chop up an MP3 or Ogg file, using mpgsplt or oggz-chop, the
> >> time is forever wrong on that file. It'll show the start time that
> >> it was in the ORIGINAL file, not in this new, shorter file, which
> >> should start from 00:00. And, alas, my Sanza Fuze loses control of
> >> its bladder when it sees a file starting at 49:32, for example,
> >> and refuses to play it.
> >>
> >> -ken

This sounds like the length information is stored in a tag or header
and those programs don't update these as they probably should.

So yeah, what I'd do is have a look at the tag first, if it doesn't
reveal anything it's likely the header. This might be different for all
of these formats.

There's a very good resource I know:
http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Main_Page
and the forum:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/

Lots of codec devs and other knowledgeable people hang out there. With
their help it should be possible to figure out what's wrong, file
bugs and help the devs of apps that get it wrong to get it right.

Maybe we can follow this here? I bet these issues annoy lots of people
all the time. Maybe form kind of a workgroup, collect and share
information? I think this is something even users like me/us can do.

Regards,
Philipp