[LAU] FOSS Ethernet Soundcard

Kevin Cosgrove kevinc at cosgroves.us
Tue Nov 24 14:12:13 EST 2009

On 24 November 2009 at 11:26, Florian Faber <faber at faberman.de> wrote:

> A lot of companies are working on this, but for anything but a simple
> audio in/audio out you need technology that's not yet available to the
> broad public - at least not to the usual prices. Check out the AVB
> specification (IEEE 802.1).
>
> In the broadcast/studio segment, transport over ethernet is already in
> use by some manufacturers.

If a standard, like AVB IEEE 802.1 is in place, or a draft proposed,
then we'd be served well by aiming for it.  If not, then learning
from what's out there would be prudent.  Whatever is done,
implementing appropriate abstraction levels in the libraries, API,
etc. are a must to minimize rototilling the entire implementation.

--
Kevin