[LAU] USB audio interface support?

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Thu Nov 26 06:01:33 EST 2009

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 05:55:17PM +0800, Ng Oon-Ee wrote:

> One of the engineers at M-Audio, in the thread I mentioned, said that
> the M-Audio gives up to 40 dB of pre-amp gain, while the SM57 needs
> about 50 dB to operate optimally. In other words, it works, but it'll be
> soft, and soft enough that if you try to record quite plucking your
> recording will be noisy once software-amplified.

40 dB is on the low side, and will produce low levels for some
instruments, but more gain would not improve the S/N ratio at
all (*). To get a good level you can as well use 'digital gain'.

(*) except if the preamp is really very badly designed.

Ciao,

--
FA

Io lo dico sempre: l'Italia è troppo stretta e lunga.