[LAU] USB audio interface support?

Ng Oon-Ee ngoonee at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 18:34:35 EST 2009

On Thu, 2009-11-26 at 10:49 -0800, Ronald Stewart wrote:
> ok I will chime in I guess...
>
> for your/any mic Centrance makes a clean mic interface called Mic Mate
> Pro.  I love mine, its quiet, has decent pre amp, runs 24 bit and will
> run with Indamixx at 2msecs in Jack.

I suppose you're actually referring to the Centrance MicPort Pro? Just
checked it out, looks similar to the Shure X2U. Unfortunately, at that
price range I may as well pay a bit more to get an audio interface that
does more than one input and some output as well. A bit BELOW my budget
=). Thanks for the suggestion though.

Actually, if I was to buy a separate unit for pre-amp, I'd buy a proper
pre-amp and plug it into my audio interface (or my laptop if I don't buy
that) instead of a USB device. The pre-amp is more generally useful I'd
think, useable outside the context of computer DAWs.

> I am pretty sure Robin Gareus wrote in another respone about 'on
> soundcard' buiilt in processing with UA EX 25/ others and basically
> said all that stuff does not add up to a hill of beans.....

I tried searching the archives and could not come up with anything, a
pointer please? But yes, I wouldn't be looking for the 'built-in
processing' stuff, I prefer a clean sound to apply my own effects on
(not really a rock/distortion fan, which is the only reason I can think
of to apply 'built-in processing').

<snip>

> Again I would suggest going with UA EX 25 because I think I read in
> LAU that you can get 24bit mode going on the card.
>
> Sorry to break anyone's heart with the 80 cent part fact but that's
> the tale of the tape.

Thanks, that information sounds good to know. And I am considering the
EX-25, though its a bit out of my budget.

> However, now that I know where the difference is measured between
> audio cards, I would choose Echo because Milo is at the top of his
> game, AND Echo has been Linux friendly for quite some time.

Echo Audio, as far as I can tell, doesn't have a USB audio interface,
looks like firewire or built-in laptop card stuff from their website.
Which is a pity because the fork discussion on dB floor for their
equipment sounds interesting.