[LAU] (no subject)

Karl Hammar karl at aspodata.se
Mon Nov 30 08:09:47 EST 2009

linux-audio-dev at lists.linuxaudio.org
Subject: Re: [LAU] [LAD] FOSS Ethernet Soundcard

ken at restivo.org:
> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 10:33:45AM +0100, Karl Hammar wrote:
> > My goals is "just" to extend another project (industrial i/o).
> > What would your goals be ?
> The original thread converged on a goal pretty quickly:
>  an inexpensive,
 yes, if possible, but not one of my major goals
>  multi-channel audio interface
 ack
>  which is open hardware and software,
 amen
>  and uses Gig Ethernet as its physical connection method.
 a 200MHz processor (as in my project) cannot possible drive a
 gigabit ethernet, if someone has a better choise of processor, please
 speak up

> So, if I were going to put the goal simply:
>  I'd like a Focusrite Saffire (or equivalent) that runs over
>  Ethernet, please :-)
>  Price-wise, it'd be nice if it cost the same or less than
>   equivalent USB 2.0 product.
>  Latency-wise, comparable with USB 2.0.

Can you summarize theese in more technical terms.

> In terms of how many I/O, I think that was still being calculated
>  and experimentation was going to be required. Obviously options for
>  4, 8, or 16 I/O would be nice.

Ok.

To be honest with you all, for me, this is not about to compete with
products on the market or to sale and market a product.

This is to do something, hopefully; together with (hopefully) other
fellow hw and sw hackers. To make it so, I'd like the construction to
be sufficiently simply so that a large enought share of hw hackers
can make the thing themself. In technical terms, I'll restrict myself
to double layer pcb's and non-BGA chips. That does not mean that the
design or the specification has to be of low quality.

Low price would be nice but is not a goal at this point.

Regards,
/Karl

Karl Hammar                    Aspö Data               karl at aspodata.se
Lilla Aspö 148                                                 Networks
S-742 94 Östhammar          +46  173 140 57                   Computers
Sweden                     +46  70 511 97 84                 Consulting