[LAU] From audio synthesis environment to plugin

Nick Copeland nickycopeland at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 4 04:39:15 EDT 2009

If you are going to put velocity curves on the controller itself then you are going to lose
responsiveness, no? Midi only supports a 7 bit velocity: if the curve is on the controller
then a non-linear curve implies some of the 127 values have to be duplicated and some
will not be used - that implies you have lost sensitivity in the touch response.

If is far wiser to to pass a full linear resolution to the application, let it convert that into
an internal curve that generates floats and can thus provide a far smoother curve. It also
makes programming the controller simpler as it will be able to avoid implementing a
feature that the app/softsynth has to do anyway and can probably do better than MIDI.

Regards, nick.

"we have to make sure the old choice [Windows] doesn't disappear”.
Jim Wong, president of IT products, Acer