[LAU] [LAD] So what's the deal with controlling the aeolus organ?stops via midi

Nick Copeland nickycopeland at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 6 11:30:39 EDT 2009

The issue with using the predefined CC such as #7 for other uses is that if any GM controller sits on your MIDI channel it will use that as a volume control, and it will be reinterpreted by Aeolus as some organ setting. The result is highly unpredictable and I don't think there are 55 unassigned CC available.

The same is actually true of NRP: as the NRP has no concept of source or dest other than the MIDI channel then if you want to control two devices over the same channel (multilayered/multitimbral gives nice results with a bit if detune) then the NRP are also going to collide. Bristol did just this in 0.10 and then backed down after a few complaints of lost output or wild signals to the point where it was unusable, people were downgrading to 0.9 - the use of NRP in bristol were proposed as an alternative to the squatted SYSEX message which have always worked as they never collided with anything (but themselves). The option to honour NRP is still there, just not default and I would have backed it out completely except it was easy to leave under flag control.

Having everything after 0xf0 as reassignable  is a pretty cool idea. SYSEX message can collide too unless the message format includes a further system identifier such as bristols negotiation handles but they only work over TCP. I think I might put that on the wishlist.

Out of interest, what was the problem with MIDI sequencing and SYSEX? The only problem I knew about was that they are atomic and cannot be interupted hence on 'legacy' 5-pin DIN at a meagre few kilobaud there were timing issues, largely overcome now with USB unless you want to download gigasamples.

Regards, nick.

"we have to make sure the old choice [Windows] doesn't disappear”.
Jim Wong, president of IT products, Acer