[LAU] Realtime MIDI programming?

Jeff Sandys sandysj at juno.com
Wed Oct 7 15:03:52 EDT 2009

Carlo Capocasa said (cross posted from linux-audio-dev):
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking into doing some real time MIDI programming with
> either C++ or Common lisp.
>
> I would specifically not schedule anything but deliver everything
> as "play it right now" notes.
>
> Is it necessary to use realtime scheduling the way JACK does?

Common Music will do this and it's new variant GRACE:
http://commonmusic.sourceforge.net/cm/res/doc/cm.html#midi-out
(GRACE is actually Scheme)

Real time is desirable with data flow intense audio processing, for
midi messages (3 bytes per note) the vanilla kernels should be ok,
as many of the real time improvements have migrated into the kernel.

Thanks,
Jeff Sandys