[LAU] Sony's .fl Codec

David Baron d_baron at 012.net.il
Thu Oct 8 05:10:20 EDT 2009

On Thursday 08 October 2009 09:19:03 Peder Hedlund wrote:
> Quoting David Baron <d_baron at 012.net.il>:
> > ClamAV 0.95.2
> >
> > My daughter bought a bunch of songs from Sony's music downloads to my
> > Sony- Ericson cell-phone. They are similar sizes to mp3's but seem to
> > only play on the phone.
> >
> > How might one play them in linux or on a normal mp3 player?
>
> Have you tried using mplayer?
>
> If you have sndfile-info installed (usually from the package named
> libsndfile-progs or similar) you can run that on the file and see if
> it can identify it.
>
> You probably won't be able to play it in a normal mp3 player without
> converting it to mp3 first.

$ sndfile-info AlHaaor_AitzikAsh_f.fl

Version : libsndfile-1.0.20

Error : Not able to open input file AlHaaor_AitzikAsh_f.fl.
File : AlHaaor_AitzikAsh_f.fl
Length : 4299064

File contains data in an unknown format.

>Hmm, according to this
>http://stream-recorder.com/forum/cannot-remove-drm-fl-file-sony-ericsson-
>t1516.html?s=7bcb2305e1af656306e9f72a09ee5594 the file might be DRM-
>protected. In that case you can't play it on anything other than the
>phone.

And the phone is such a high-fidelity player, huh?

She bought rather than stole these songs. This is the reward. Friends have
pirated mp3's galore.

These files ARE mp3's. Such files would normally have a "magic number'
identifying them. Since vi can edit anything as long as one does not change
its length (I have used it to modify magic stuff in compile .ko's for
example), maybe it be possible to use it to place appropriate magic into these
files?