[LAU] Live CDs

Ricardus Vincente wizardofgosz at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 13:11:09 EDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-10-09 at 09:38 -0700, Kim Cascone wrote:

> I find this has become rampant in the Linux community - whereas back in
> 2006 when I started tinkering with Ubuntu on a PPC this was not the case...
> there has been a huge influx of people who like brow beating someone
> else in order to feel smarter e.g. better or superior to others...this
> is weenie behavior
> and it's a shame that this sort of attitude exists, especially in the
> music/audio FOSS community where educating others is imperative to
> keeping our community growing and being innovative

  It's not good in ANY community.  I believe in civility, community, and
discourse.  I will say that overall, my linux experience has been very
good, but if we want amazing packages like Ardour to take off, we
definitely need civility.   :-)

> > I made a simple inquiry in the #ardour channel a few months ago, and one
> > user who shall remain nameless felt it necessary to open up a private
> > chat window to be a miserable SOB and belittle me (and someone else that
> > I know) about our lack of knowledge in this one area.  Not cool.
>
> personally, I've not found this attitude on the Ardour forum or on the
> email list but have not used the IRC channel so I can't comment on this

  Well, my experience on the #ardour channel has been fantastic, save
for this one experience. I come from an analog world and decided to
start experimenting with Ardour.  A friend posted a project he had
recorded using Ardour and asked me if I would mix it.  I agreed, and
every once in a while as I was mixing, I had a question about Ardour
(where they hid certain features, etc...) and everyone was very helpful.
Particularly Seablade and las.

> as for building my own kernel: I'm a composer, touring musician and
> writer who doesn't have the time to start chasing down deps and
> trouble-shooting compile erro
> rs -- as much as I wish this were all a
> hobby I could poke at on the weekends I'm on constant deadlines and
> schedules that keep me busy at least 10 hours a day, 7 days a week.
> And since royalties are a thing of the past for most electronic
> musicians, wearing many hats is the only way one can make a living at
> this - and wearing many hats translates to a 70 hour workweek.
> So building my own kernel, app, plugins, whatever is a afternoon project
> I can't afford to spend time on without shooting myself in the foot. And
> is why some of us don't 'roll our own' and depend upon either those who
> do or use the repositories. Hence, bleeding edge instability and
> beta-testing updates/patches/new versions are not things professional
> musicians can afford to deal with.

  Well, if we want Ardour to become more ubiquitous, then access to it,
and its proper functioning should become easier.   :-)

> I also find the range of musicians on this list refreshing and
> enlightening -- some of you have spent time teaching me about the
> intricacies Linux audio and for this I'm eternally grateful. The
> willingness to teach others is what makes a community valuable IMO.

Agreed.

Ricardus...