[LAU] M-Audio FastTrack Pro, all four outputs in jack

Dan S danstowell+lxau at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 14:54:36 EDT 2009

2009/10/9 Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey at boosthardware.com>:

> On 10/09/2009 07:06 PM, Dan S wrote:

>>> can aplay? if not, start there.
>>>

>> Forgive the ignorance but what sort of string does aplay's "-d" option
>> need? I tried the device names that qjackctl shows me (namely default,
>> hw:0, hw:1,0, hw:1) and only "default" worked (I expected hw:0 also to
>> work since that's the same as default, i.e. the internal card). All
>> other options return immediately with error and don't play.
>

> aplay -f cd -d hw:1,0 xxxx.wav
>

> That should record a cd quality wav file on the fastrack pro i/o 1/2

Hmm, no dice here (you mean "play" not "record" I guess). In the
following, all of the playback commands occurred on the internal
device:

sounds> aplay --version
aplay: version 1.0.13 by Jaroslav Kysela <perex at suse.cz>
sounds> aplay -l
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC861VD Analog [ALC861VD Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: Pro [FastTrack Pro], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: Pro [FastTrack Pro], device 1: USB Audio [USB Audio #1]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
sounds> aplay a11wlk01.wav
Playing WAVE 'a11wlk01.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Mono
sounds> aplay -f cd -d hw:1,0 a11wlk01.wav
Playing WAVE 'a11wlk01.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Mono
sounds> aplay -f cd -d hw:1,1 a11wlk01.wav
Playing WAVE 'a11wlk01.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Mono
sounds> aplay -f cd -d hw:0,0 a11wlk01.wav
Playing WAVE 'a11wlk01.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Mono

How to diagnose?

Thanks
Dan