[LAU] lmms static through jackd

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Sat Oct 10 08:02:48 EDT 2009

Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> I haven't had a chance to try out lmms yet. What are the main show
> stoppers apart from the jack issue that you encountered?

Hi Patrick,

I reviewed it not too long ago:

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/introducing-lmms-linux-multimedia-studio

I gave a fairly positive review *except* wrt its performance. Frankly,
it was pretty poor regardless of the driver (and I tested it with its
ALSA, OSS, and SDL drivers). I like its concept and design, but until it
has seamless JACK support it remains a toy.

Can't say I blame the devs for switching it over to Windows, especially
if they're not going to bring its JACK support up to speed.

There's a thread on LMMS over at KVRaudio. It's mostly concerned with
the eye candy, they're not responding to any queries re: JACK, so I'm
not hopeful about its development for Linux. And yes, they do refer to a
name change in the near future.

Best,

dp