[LAU] linux-rt in Ubuntu Jaunty

Lorenzo lsutton at libero.it
Sat Oct 10 13:14:59 EDT 2009

Josh Lawrence wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I remember some time back there were complaints on this list about the
> linux-rt kernel in Ubuntu Jaunty not being up-to-par for audio work.
> What were some of those complaints, and has the issue been resolved?

I recently decided I wanted the rt kernel (on ubuntu) because I wanted
to improve performance of 'recording' rosegarden+fluydSynth in Ardour.

I went the apt-get install way and I got a working 2.6.28-3-rt. The
advantage was that I got the nvidia drivers working 'out of the box'. I
had compiled a patched kernel but then X (nvidia?) was not working. Not
sure if wifi is working as at the moment I'm using cabled network (that
was also an issue with rt in the past)

Audio-wise it seems to work well (near to null xruns). I had to very
ugly system freezes, one at boot one while working with audio stuff. But
havn't tested extensively.

Kind regards,
Lorenzo.