[LAU] Controllers and stuff for live performance

Peter Geirnaert peter.geirnaert at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 15:00:18 EDT 2009

On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 5:36 PM, Carlos Sanchiavedraz
<csanchezgs at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi dear folks.
>
> I would like to do some kind of a survey to know about configs, setups,
> controllers, etc that you have come to over the years and based on your own
> experience. (Well, I already know some of yours for your mails on the list)
>
> It's usual to see piano keyboards and controller boards, i.e. Behringer
> BCF/BCR2000 or FCB1010.
>
> But more than this kind of consumer products, which I know many of them,
> I'm rather interested in something like (inexpensive and) strange MIDI
> controllers, pedal boards, Arduinos, DIY HW... that allow controlling and
> have interaction with applications, whether it's Ardour, Rosegarden,
> Freewheeling, Sooperlooper, Pd, Supercolider, Mixxx ...
>
> Why this? I've been willing for a long time now to buy an audio interface
> with MIDI and maybe some controller, but at the moment I'm still stuck with
> just my keyboard and mouse; it's ok with DAWs but an inconvenient when using
> live loopers (most of all when playing guitar, and without a MIDI
> interface).
>
> Thanks in advance.
> --
> Carlos "sanchiavedraz"
> * Musix GNU+Linux
>  http://www.musix.es

Hi Carlos,
There's a GPL v3 project on Sourceforge for using a webcam as midi input,
pmidic <http://pmidic.sourceforge.net/>, unfortunately it's only available
in a windows version though the programmer planned to do a linux version
too.
(I'm friends with him on facebook and it doesn't really look like he's gonna
write one soon, but when I said I wanted to write the linux version , he
liked it, too bad I can't program well enough to finish the job.)
I played with pmidic for a while (on a windows xp setup IIRC) and could make
my synth produce a low bell when I walked to the left of the camera field
and a high bell when walking to the right :) That's been a while, I don't
remember the problems when I tested it using wine but it didn't work for me.

Looking forward to see anything that comes up from your quest ...

Peter