[LAU] lmms static through jackd

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Sun Oct 11 18:33:54 EDT 2009

On 10/12/2009 08:40 AM, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 03:16:50PM -0500, Jonathan E. Brickman wrote:
>

>> I do understand how quality Jack interfacing could be a surpassingly
>> difficult challenge for a developer, most especially a group of
>> developers, of an insular yet modular project like lmms.  I could
>> imagine that it might require reworking of the audio output code for
>> each module, given that the whole was never designed for jack in the
>> first place; and there are a lot of modules.  Culturally speaking,
>> within many FOSS developer groups, such changes are very difficult to
>> enact short of a fork.  I have also heard tell that qt4 is unhelpful in
>> general latency-wise, but this does not explain why ALSA output works well.
>>
> I suspect you missed the point.
>
> If LMMS works well, and with acceptable latency (whatever
> that means) using ALSA then it should work equally well
> and with exactly the same latency using Jack.
>
> *  There is no essential difference except in the
> *  way this this achieved.
>
> The difference in practice is that an app can set up its
> ALSA interface to provide lots of buffering (with the
> associated latency), but it can't do the same with Jack.
> Using Jack it has to provide the buffering itself. Since
> LMMS, according to previous posts, has buffering between
> its DSP modules and the Jack interface the only thing that
> could be missing is to set up this buffering as it should
> be set up. If this is done there is no need to modify any
> modules.

In other words if someone from the lmms team wanted to get some
assistance with the jack code that is not working they should feel free
to send it to the jack-devel or LAD list for assistance.  However
relying/hoping or expecting someone unrelated to the project to go out
of their way to figure out the issue on their behalf is unlikely to get
anything done.

Cheers.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd