[LAU] Controllers and stuff for live performance

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Mon Oct 12 01:36:14 EDT 2009

nescivi wrote:
> On Sunday 11 October 2009 13:36:55 Carlos Sanchiavedraz wrote:
>> Hi dear folks.
>>
>> I would like to do some kind of a survey to know about configs, setups,
>> controllers, etc that you have come to over the years and based on your own
>> experience. (Well, I already know some of yours for your mails on the list)
>>
>> It's usual to see piano keyboards and controller boards, i.e. Behringer
>> BCF/BCR2000 or FCB1010.
>>
>> But more than this kind of consumer products, which I know many of them,
>>  I'm rather interested in something like (inexpensive and) strange MIDI
>>  controllers, pedal boards, Arduinos, DIY HW... that allow controlling and
>>  have interaction with applications, whether it's Ardour, Rosegarden,
>>  Freewheeling, Sooperlooper, Pd, Supercolider, Mixxx ...
>>
>> Why this? I've been willing for a long time now to buy an audio interface
>> with MIDI and maybe some controller, but at the moment I'm still stuck with
>> just my keyboard and mouse; it's ok with DAWs but an inconvenient when
>>  using live loopers (most of all when playing guitar, and without a MIDI
>> interface).
>
> Check out http://www.sensorwiki.org
> it has a good list of interfaces and sensors to use for them,
> and a link to a taxonomy of digital instruments (by far incomplete, but
> still).
> Also http://www.nime.org may point you to some of the stuff that's out there.

I had a thought re keyboards (particularly the keys themselves). Why
can't the surface of a key be a touchpad-like surface sensitive to
pressure and even movement? So, for example, you could play a violin
note, hold it, and use finger pressure and movement on the key surface
itself to do vibrato the way a violinist would? That would go a long
ways toward bringing human expressiveness back into playing the sounds
of such expressive instruments as strings and woodwinds.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community