[LAU] Run all audio through Jack?

Folderol folderol at ukfsn.org
Fri Oct 16 15:38:07 EDT 2009

On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 11:37:21 -0700 (PDT)
Jeff Sandys <sandysj at juno.com> wrote:

> Jonathan E. Brickman-2 wrote:
> >
> > ... The question is:  Is there any reason why I
> > should not be running all audio through Jack?  I heard that through
> > .asoundrc one can achieve this quite easily, and it strikes me as a way
> > to speed up the process of setup for a gig, ...
> >
> > J.E.B.
> >
> One reason not to use jack for all your sounds is you don't want mouse
> clicks, OS warnings and "you've got mail" sounds going to your audience
> or recording.  Pulseaudio is intended to handle those regular user sounds
> but can have terrible latency and lack of control for the musician, even
> with the pulse-jack connection.
>
> LASH can save your jack and audio application connections and settings
> and can restore them fairly quickly, give it a try.
> -- Jeff

Hold on a minute there.

What on earth is someone doing using a machine for serious audio
work with all that crud loaded and active?

I run with all unnecessary services completely disabled (network is
only re-enabled if I want to upgrade something), the lightest and
simplest possible desktop, with zero cue sounds or special graphics
effects. Pulseaudio, if it's there, is the first thing to go straight
in the bit-bucket.

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk