[LAU] How to use Linux VST (SoundCrab)?

Jonathan E. Brickman jeb at joshuacorps.org
Sat Oct 17 11:38:46 EDT 2009

SoundCrab comes as a .so file, a native Linux DLL.  It is called by its
maker a VST, so I tried it with the VST host included in AVLinux,
'vsthost'.  It gives the below.  I have tried copying soundcrab.so to
/usr/local/lib/vst, but there was no change in result.  What is the best
method to use?

J.E.B.

jeb at jebspc:~/Desktop/VST$ vsthost soundcrab.so
Returning file identifiers: QSTwMe2iCe1CDtqWf1l0rEup
RemoteVSTClient: executing /usr/local/lib/dssi/dssi-vst/dssi-vst-server
-g soundcrab.so,QSTwMe2iCe1CDtqWf1l0rEup
DSSI VST plugin server v0.986
Copyright (c) 2004-2008 Chris Cannam
dssi-vst-server[1]: not found in /usr/local/lib/vst/soundcrab.so
dssi-vst-server[1]: not found in /usr/local/lib/vst/soundcrab.so
dssi-vst-server[1]: not found in DLL path
dssi-vst-server: ERROR: Couldn't load VST DLL "soundcrab.so"
Plugin server timed out on startup: No such device or address
vsthost: bailing out