[LAU] setting up a Behringer BCF2000 for use with ardour

munkeyfreenix batcat munkeyfreenix.batcat at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 21:31:15 EDT 2009

the good news is that this will definitely work with linux, but it took me a
little bit of effort.

I recently got my BCR2000 to work with jack, and after some hacking, i've
been using it as my midi interface to the rest of my gear. There are some
internal settings on the BCR that I am sure also apply to the BCF (they've
got the same manual pretty much), which has to deal with modes. You
definitely want to be in usb mode (modes U1-4).

what alsa midi modules do you have? im on gentoo, and I compile everything
alsa as modules, as in-kernel never worked.

i did a few things while i was getting this going. 1) ran usbmon on the
usbport and manipulated things until i was sniffing the usb traffic. 2) ran
pd (puredata) and got midi working through that, 3) figured out which midi
ports were usb and which are actually midi ports.

You'll also want to check your midi channels.

On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 3:29 PM, uhoh <uhoh at cox.net> wrote:

> i've followed the online ardour manual section 10.2, but it isn't working.
> manual page shows the bcf showing up under MIDI in qjackctl Connect window,
> but for me it comes up under ALSA. i tried various combinations
> conncections
> to/from ardour from qjackctl but to no avail.
>
> i'm using debian lenny on amd64 with ardour compiled from source (since
> it's
> not in the debian distribution).
>
> i have the bcf2000 connected through usb and it's showing up fine
> in /proc/asound/cards.

godspeed you black cats