[LAU] Fedora 11: no ALSA sequencer

David Adler david.jo.adler at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 10:11:52 EDT 2009

On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 12:01 PM, lanas <lanas at securenet.net> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
>  There's no ALSA sequencer available in jack on Fedora 11 x86_64,
> using CCRMA's jack audio kit:
>
> qjackctl reports:
>
> "Could not open ALSA sequencer as a client"
>
> "ALSA MIDI patchbay will be not available"
>
> And further:
>
> "ALSA lib seq_hw.c:457 (snd_seq_hw_open) open /dev/snd/seq failed: No
> such file"
>
> This is an Acer Aspire 6939 laptop to which a M-Audio Axiom 25 is
> connected via USB.  Does this have to do with the laptop's hardware ?
>
> Thanks.

hi,

execute
$ lsmod | grep '^snd_seq' | column -t

the following modules should appear.

snd_seq_dummy
snd_seq_oss
snd_seq_midi
snd_seq_midi_event
snd_seq
snd_seq_device

I'm not sure which one exactly causes the problem.
load the missing ones like this
$ modprobe snd_seq_midi_event
and try again

To automatically load those at startup they can be put
somewhere on the system in a text file. I'm not sure where
this file resides on fedora, it might be /etc/modprobe.conf

greetings,