[LAU] [ANN] 'gluid' : fluidsynth toy frontend

David Baron d_baron at 012.net.il
Sun Oct 18 13:17:03 EDT 2009

On Sunday 18 October 2009 17:02:11 Benoît Rouits wrote:
> hello list,
> a word to announce the release of a mini fluidsynth frontend
> written in C/GTK+. it's called 'gluid' and fits in the system
> tray of the panel. The options are very few, but sufficient for
> me. I welcome improvements, translations and feature requests.
> Here it is: http://herewe.servebeer.com/gluid/
> the SVN code is at http://herewe.servebeer.com/svn/gluid
> Have a nice musical day.

Cute toy, works ... somewhat.

Not all soundfonts will be compatable without a few options around.

1. Samplerate conversion -- such an animal available in fluidsynth or in jack
(no setting around in qjackctl)? Was not a problem using alsa (but all that
latency!).

2. Channels -- Might need to set. There are soundfonts that do not play on the
default channel-1/0.

3. Program -- A GM sf2 may have many programs and the MIDI controller needs to
select. Others are one instrument but this either plasy on program 1/0 or on
the appropriate program for say a clarinet. Might want to set a program
outright (which the controller could always change).

(4. Jack-midi is problematic. Must usually run through a alsa2jackmidi-bridge
program and mutliple connections over three qjackctl panes. Can hang up. Had
similar problems using qsynth!)