[LAU] setting up a Behringer BCF2000 for use with ardour

uhoh uhoh at cox.net
Mon Oct 19 09:52:43 EDT 2009

On Sunday 18 October 2009 12:04:14 am David Adler wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 12:29 AM, uhoh <uhoh at cox.net> wrote:
> > i've followed the online ardour manual section 10.2, but it isn't
> > working. manual page shows the bcf showing up under MIDI in qjackctl
> > Connect window, but for me it comes up under ALSA. i tried various
> > combinations conncections to/from ardour from qjackctl but to no avail.
> >
> > i'm using debian lenny on amd64 with ardour compiled from source (since
> > it's not in the debian distribution).
> >
> > i have the bcf2000 connected through usb and it's showing up fine
> > in /proc/asound/cards.
> >
> > any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> In qjackctls setup window, select 'seq' as Midi driver in the drop-down
> menu at the bottom left. Then all Alsa-Midi ports should appear under
> Alsa as well as under Midi.

okay, now i have extra ports under the MIDI tab conveniently labeled
midi_capture_3 ... midi_playback_8 (presumably for the BCF2000 and ardour) in
addition to my soundcard ports. i tried some random connections here, but it
didn't do anything.

> Some explanation of the two Midi systems:
> http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/faq/start#qwhat_is_the_difference_between_jack-m
>idi_and_alsa-midi

thanks for the link. it doesn't solve my problem, but any info on how the
underlying software works is good to know.

under the ALSA tab i have the following out ports (in addition to my sound
card): MIDI 1 & 2 under the BCF2000 and control, mcu, & seq under ardour. the
in ports are the same for ardour, but i have MIDI 1, 2, & 3 for the BCF2000.
which outs connect to which ins?