[LAU] Jack frequently crashes when running LinuxSampler + Qsynth

Guru Prasad B. R. prasadbrg at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 13:23:53 EDT 2009

Thanks, Arnold, for the heads-up on this particular kernel. I found it
to hang on two occasions (and I haven't had it for that long either).
I'm not too familiar with PPAs... (am reading up right now). I assume
you meant that I should follow the instructions on this page:
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntustudio-dev/+archive/ppa
and then choose the right realtime kernel package from synaptic, or
command line. Am I correct?

Jörn, my apologies,  I realised that I haven't answered all your
questions - my frames/period is 256, periods/buffer is 2,  sample rate
is 44100, giving me a latency of 11.6 sec. While typing this, I noticed
a parameter 'Timeout', which is currently 500 msec. The only "error"
message says something about timeout and linuxsampler - so I was
wondering whether I can change this parameter to a 'safer' level. What
does this 'timeout' parameter mean? The qjackctl popup says "Set client
timeout in milliseconds", but I didn't quite follow. What happens if
this parameter is too high, or too low?

Also, I've noticed that the realtime kernel + Icewm option *does* reduce
the crash frequency by a huge margin, something which I did not make
clear in my last mail. However, the realtime kernel hung twice on one
occasion (before a live perfomance), forcing me to switch to the generic
kernel, and the crash happened during the performance (does not help
increase my fanbase.. :(). On the whole, I cannot confidently rely on
the linux setup until there is some failsafe in place, and I'm convinced
that it is very, very unlikely for a crash to happen during a live
performance.
Looking forward to suggestions/pointers/questions.
Thanks in advance!
Cheers,

Guru